Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can I hook up two computers to the internet without using a router?

(I don't think these older computers have a PCI card.) Or can I run a cable from one computer to the other and then both would have the internet? I understand that would be a different type of cable. Anyway, how to use two with just one cable connection. Or can I use a splitter on the cable itself, then run a cable from the splitter to each computer?



Can I hook up two computers to the internet without using a router?antivirus software



Older computer will have pci slots (unless your referring to an ethernet adapter). In which case you can get two cheap ones for almost nothing.



Ok, simplest way to do this:



run a usb cable to one computer from the modem (if you have USB)



run a cross-over cat-5 cable to the second computer from the first.



enable ''internet connection sharing'' on the first.



Honestly, for $49 you can get a linksys wrt45g? I think that is the model, your basic blue dual-antenna wireless router. Don't have to go wireless, but non wireless routers are more expensive. Really, it will save your sanity. Otherwise, your creating what is considered a proxy server.



Also agree with Acadia, NAT is huge plus, it prevents your computers from being hit from the outside, the router is the only target unless you have a virus or trojan.



Can I hook up two computers to the internet without using a router?computer virus

No comments:

Post a Comment