Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In a small network of computers, I only get an internet connection in one of them. What could be the

I bought a new router and tried to setup a LAN. All the lights on the router are up and I can access the shared files and folders using any computer in the network. However, I can access the internet using only one computer. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cables, changed cables and restarted all the computers and router. Could it be that the router is the problem? I'm using an Encore 5-port 10/100Mbps NWay Switch. I would really appreciate any inputs. Thanks!



In a small network of computers, I only get an internet connection in one of them. What could be the problem?antivirus programs



a switch is a layer 2 device (for the most part) and does not have features like PAT to allow the single ip address you have to be shared among more than one computer.



You need a router the is runningPAT and also likely will be running dhcp.



In a small network of computers, I only get an internet connection in one of them. What could be the problem?computer protection



Actually, the switch would work...if the server on the other side is handing out numbers by DHCP. If you are connecting your switch to DSL, then you need to check with your provider to see if they are running DHCP and, if so, how many connections you can have. If not, then you are probably running with a fixed IP or are only allowed one connection. In that case, those that are saying a router/NAT or a dual-NIC computer acting as a DHCP server is easiest solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment